Dashboard Forums High End Client Program Hero Story Questions Using dates vs. number of years ago in your story

2 replies, 3 voices Last updated by Teresa Davila 6 years, 4 months ago
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Rosalind Sedacca
      Participant
        @rosalindwrites@gmail.com

I’m sharing this with the group. Was sent to me in another newsletter and I thought it’s relevant when telling our hero story regarding whether to use dates or number of years ago. I thought this was great advice …

Best,

Rosalind Sedacca

<b>Avoid making yourself irrelevant to your audience</b>

We have learned this important lesson from some of our speaker-clients who are in their 50s and 60s. When referring to something that happened to you in the past, you need be careful how you express it, whether using a date or the number of years ago.

Studies show that anything that is beyond the living memory of people is usually considered old and often not relevant. If you say, “thirty years ago I suffered a financial crisis that….” everyone under forty is mentally dismissing the information as “ancient history.” On the other hand, if you say, “When I was 21, I suffered a financial crisis that….” The audience is right there with you, because they can all relate to being 21. As always, speakers need to be relevant.

Halle Eavelyn
          @halle@coredm.com

Nice!! THANK YOU for that tip, @rosalind-sedacca!!

cc. @kent-littlejohn @negeen-dargahi @anthony-simonie

Teresa Davila
          Participant
            @teresamdavila@gmail.com

great shift in perspective, thx Rosalind

Viewing 2 reply threads

Support Forums are being phased out. You can still view the existing Forum posts but can no longer post in them. For all Support needs, please email help@coredm.com or click the blue Question Mark icon in the lower right hand corner of your screen.