Dashboard Forums High End Client Program Hero Story Questions Stuck on my Hero's Story

4 replies, 2 voices Last updated by n d 6 years, 4 months ago
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Michelle Dumas
      Participant
        @michelle@distinctivecareerservices.com

I have been stuck here for a few weeks now.

I could tell a compelling and inspiring story about my own journey as an entrepreneur, the multiple business ventures behind me (some that failed miserably because they weren’t my passion), and my current very successful business that I mindfully and intentionally created to support the lifestyle that I wanted to live…my path to creating a personally, professionally, and financially rewarding ENTREPRENEURIAL career path that is uniquely my own.

Parts of this could resonate with my target audience. We provide them with the support and tools they need to build careers that they find personally, professionally, and financially rewarding.

The trouble is that the vast majority of my clients are pursuing a CORPORATE career path in traditional employment.  I’ve never worked a single day in a corporate position myself–nor would I want to.  I held a few traditional jobs over the years, but my passion lies in being an entrepreneur.  This is a big DISCONNECT. I don’t think my target audience would resonate with my story.

I keep trying to think of ways to connect the two, and I can do so from a very high level. But as soon as I get to the meat of my story the disconnect happens and it feels forced.

Do you have any examples of hero stories people have written 1) using a client as an example and 2) connecting to another story not your own

I am thinking that I may have to take one of those two paths. I need to get unstuck here. I’m losing momentum and it worries me. I want to move on.

Michelle Dumas
        Participant

Since writing this, I have been reading other stories and am feeling a little more inspired. The words are starting to flow. I’ll keep working on it.  But I am still open to any insight or suggestions you may have.

n d
            Keymaster
              @negeen@coredm.com

Hi @michelle-dumas! I completely understand what you’re saying and here are my thoughts that I hope inspire you to take action:

Everyone’s story is relevant. Your passion for what you do must not have come randomly out of anywhere, right? You had to go through many experiences and obstacles to get to where you are today. That is a story people want to hear. … So while you may not feel your story is relevant… it truly is. You never know who will be benefited from your story.

You know exactly how to help them because of trials and tribulations you may or may not have experienced.

If anything, tie it to why all of those events have helped you become the best person at your job, helping amazing people every day.

I believe in you and your story 🙂

• This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by n d.

Michelle Dumas
            Participant

Hi Negeen – Thank you for the advice and encouragement!

I am definitely unstuck now. My story is flowing, I have found my angle, and I am working on it a little each day. It is taking much longer than I anticipated to finish, but I am working on it every day. I hope to have it finished by next week.

n d
                Keymaster
                  @negeen@coredm.com

@michelle-dumas, I knew you were a rockstar! Proud of you. Yes, even if it takes until next week, it means more when you take that massive imperfect action! Good for you! 🙂

Viewing 2 reply threads

Support Forums are being phased out. You can still view the existing Forum posts but can no longer post in them. For all Support needs, please email help@coredm.com or click the blue Question Mark icon in the lower right hand corner of your screen.