11 replies, 4 voices Last updated by Stephen DeVoe 5 years, 10 months ago
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Stephen DeVoe
      Participant
        @sdevoe@rogers.com

@kent-littlejohn

Hi Kent,

I’m struggling with my hero story and I wanted to reach out to you on this one.

Our upbringing has some similarities and I have definitely had some up and some downs.

I even have had a life altering event, although in my case it was not a legal issue but rather a life threatening illness.

Since that time I have been in a slow financial decline until I finally realized I needed to make a massive change or really be in trouble.

That is the reason I’m here, I needed to take action and make that change.

I left the corporate life, and am on my own now. Here is the issue, I can certainly outline my history and chronicle  some of the ups and downs but I’m at the bottom now looking up. I don’t have a scenario YET  where I have taken somebody from rags to riches or helped them get from A to Z that I can point to in a story. I’m basically a start up.

I have been around a fair time and no doubt have successes, but these are not recent and frankly from a different life.

Can you provide some advice on how finish off a hero story when I have not quit become a hero yet?

Thanks

Steve

Laura Barker
        Participant
          @laura@premiersolutionsintl.com

@steve-devoe – Hello! I saw your post and wanted to encourage you in that you don’t have to have the rags to riches narrative for a good hero story.  You might want to take a look at mine.  I, too, suffered a life-altering health crisis and have lived to tell the story! I guess I feel like the point of the Hero Story is to give folks a glimpse into who you are and what makes you tick.  After all, people buy from people they know, like, and trust so let your story leave ppl with that feeling!

Stephen DeVoe
            Participant
              @sdevoe@rogers.com

Thank you Laura and Negeen. I sincerely appreciate your thoughts and support. Laura I will look at yours for guidance and Negeen I will go back and watch the video again.

I’ll admit it has been weighing a bit heavily on me. Starting to second guess.

Steve

n d
            Keymaster
              @negeen@coredm.com

Hi @steve-devoe, I really appreciate you reaching out for help on your hero story!

I totally agree with @laura-barker – sharing a pivotal learning experience in your life and why you got in your field of business is just as powerful as a “rags to riches” hero story.

People want to know what your story is and why they should care.

@halle-eavelyn actually did a fantastic video talking more in-depth about this. I’d love for you to watch that video if you haven’t already! We had a member in the program with the same concerns and roadblock.

Watch Halle’s video called: “HERO STORY HELP” in the Transformational Business Strategy module (bottom middle module on your MAIN DASHBOARD – turquoise with a bulls eye) video index is to the right of the video window, in alphabetical order.

I believe in you and your story, Steve! Please let me know if I can provide more assistance!

Stephen DeVoe
              Participant
                @sdevoe@rogers.com

@negeen-dargahi

@halle-eavelyn

@anthony-simonie

Hi Negeen et al

Here is a copy of my hero story. It was a challenge for sure. I haven’t taken anybody from rags to riches and what I’m marketing is not life altering. I certainly never thought of myself as hero.

I did however take your and Laura’s advice to heart. I have in fact traveled and interesting path, some might even say bizarre. Lots of money made and lost, divorce, health crisis and many lesson learned.

I thought my best chance to be a hero was to perhaps help others by relaying my life’s ups and downs, twists and turns, and the hard lessons I learned along the way.

I have submitted this draft to some former clients/friends for feed back and it has been really well received so far.  Most were actually shocked and had no idea of my earlier years.

All wanted part 2 right away:)

Would you mind having a quick look and providing feed back as well. BTW i do have some pictures I will be adding.

Thanks

Steve

Attachments:

n d
                Keymaster
                  @negeen@coredm.com

Hi @steve-devoe, I really enjoyed reading your hero story! Lots of great learning experiences throughout your life. I’m very proud of you for taking action AND setting up a part 2! That’s awesome!

I will tag @halle-eavelyn to provide feedback. Please allow up to a week for feedback – in the meantime, continue moving forward through the program!

Stephen DeVoe
                    Participant
                      @sdevoe@rogers.com

I appreciate the confidence, and thank you for having a look.

I will continue to move forward.

Steve

Halle Eavelyn
                      @halle@coredm.com

Hi, @steve-devoe, your story is FANTASTIC.  As good a first draft as I could have hoped for!! PLEASE pay someone on Fiverr.com (or ask a knowledgable friend) to review for grammar errors!!  There are a bunch! to for too, insure for ensure, etc. Stuff the spellchecker can’t catch.

Pull this line:

UP next University.

You don’t need it.

You also don’t need to say “STUFF” like this EVERY time.  The first time, later when you want to emphasize it.  Otherwise, just stuff is best. It’s really distracting from your flow otherwise.

Don’t tell your audience what to do throughout. So lose lines like this:  WRITE THIS ONE DOWN AS WELL. You talk about the lessons being important.  You can probably just put the sentence of the lesson itself in bold and then lose that part, too.  They will be able to see how important they were to you and extrapolate.

“eat what you kill” DOES need to be in quotes.

Otherwise, this is ALL GOOD, too!!

Stephen DeVoe
                        Participant
                          @sdevoe@rogers.com

Thank you Halle, will revise accordingly.

Steve

Halle Eavelyn
                          @halle@coredm.com

Hey, @steve-devoe

What did you ever do with your Hero Story? Did you ever revisit it or do part 2??

I’m getting caught up with ALL the Hero Stories, and I ended up doing a FULL LOW-LEVEL EDIT on yours, you LUCKY GUY!!

It’s attached.

Attachments:

Stephen DeVoe
                          Participant
                            @sdevoe@rogers.com

@halle-eavelyn

Hi Halle, hope all is well. I did edit it based on your last review, and in keeping with our massive imperfect action theme I did go ahead and publish it. After the summit, i did have some further thoughts on it and will return to it for a bit of editing again soon but I wanted to move on and am now in the midst of the webinar (I thought maybe I was falling a bit behind) and haven’t done any further editing or started on part 2 yet. Its on the to do list though. I will go thru your new review and incorporate as required.

White Knight

Steve

Stephen DeVoe
                            Participant
                              @sdevoe@rogers.com

@halle-eavelyn

I forgot to say thank you as well!

Steve

Viewing 8 reply threads

Support Forums are being phased out. You can still view the existing Forum posts but can no longer post in them. For all Support needs, please email help@coredm.com or click the blue Question Mark icon in the lower right hand corner of your screen.