6 replies, 3 voices Last updated by Shirley Morris 5 years, 7 months ago
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Shirley Morris
      Participant
        @bajan45@msn.com

HERO STORY

Many of you can relate to this experience that I had many years ago .
        I should first say that Ihat I am the proverbial immigrant, having been sponsored by the company I worked for in the Caribbean
        For those of you who do not know, in the Caribbean we drive on the left side ofthe road.
        The first atempt at driving in this country requires significant concentration…because without concentration the brain will automatically control what is customary.
        This day I was making a right turn out of my complex , but trned as if I was driving on the left, the road was clear for a minute,,,then suddenlty I saw a car coming towards me, not at full speed thank God, but I thought, why is this car driving on my side of the road?
        Suddently I realised that I was not in the Caribbean, but in fact my location had changed and I needed to change lanes as quickly as possible…… …..which as you can tell I was able to do successfully since I am telling the story. Whew!!!
        The immigrant experience goes beyond being successful in driving.
        Here we speak English and so do many countries in the Caribbean…but “words” do not mean the same thing when spoken , for example..in the caribbean when we want to erase a word we ask for a “Rubber” imagine coming from the Caribbean and working in an office and going up to someone and asking for a “rubber” the consternation and possible accusation of sexual harrassment!!…when all I wanted was an erasure to remove a word from a page…
        So naturally, based on this experience one becomes afraid to speak without giving thought to the words……. causing a certain amount of stress and fear that will live with us for sometime, impacting everything that we do.
        I moved with three school aged kids….teenagers however… who were ready for college and high school……
        Then after a number of years the unthinkable happened, I became ill and required surgery, which caused me to be incapacitated for a number of months
        All of my benefits were used and I was still unable to return to work, and my position had to be filled. So there was no income coming in. Now I was looking at homelessness as a possibility.
        Then out of nowhere I got a call from someone who worked with me many years before, fortunately my phone number remained the same, who was in town and wanted to make contact. He was now a successful attorney .
        After listening to my misfortune, our conversation ended with a promise to call me back.
        He did, and had made contact with a mega church which he supports, and people he knew in social services, and gave me contact names and numbers.
        Not only did I get my rent arrears paid off, but I was offered a job which paid more than the one I had to give up.
        Now I was able to reduce my debt and begin to save for the future.
        I was always told that as a renter I was paying my landlords mortgage payment and the cost of potential maintenance…. and when I thought about it, I realised that was the truth.
        So I set out to become a first-timehome buyer and began researching information and talking to people.
        Needless to say I realised that buying a home is a big investment. … I was excited about thepossibility of becoming afirst-timehomebuyer.
        With that came many questions however, such as…can I finance his purchase, how do I know if the house I select is the right one..
        Then I began to talk to people who were first time buyers, and the information they gave me, stirred up once again stress, fear and doubt that caused me to realise how much I needed to know in order to move forward.
        Several weeks later I was on the train and overheard two people discussing their interest in becoming homeowners, but had the same thoughts I had.
        That day when I went back to work I told one of my coworkers that I was considering buying a home but that I had many doubts and fears.
        She advised me that if I worked with a Realtor like she did, I would receive all the support, information, direction that I needed in order to feel comfortable about becoming a first-time home buyer.
        Further she said that she was so impressed with her realtor, who took the time to go over the entire process, allowed her to ask questions, found homes of the type she needed, arranged to show her the homes she wanted to see, amd most of all completed all the paperwork that goes along with homebuying for submission to the homeowner. She actually she had a fun time.
        Many years later when I wanted to change jobs, guess what! I went to real estate school and have been a licensed Realtor for over 12 years.
        Thinking about buying a home? Call me I can be your Realtor and you can be that first-time buyer ! 7037129545
        Green Tree Realty Hampton Roads Virginia..

@negeen-dargahi       Please review

n d
        Keymaster
          @negeen@coredm.com

Hi @shirley-morris! Nice job taking action on your Hero Story. I’ve tagged in @halle-eavelyn to provide you with feedback.

Please allow up to a week for feedback. In the meantime, please continue through the program 🙂

Shirley Morris
          Participant
            @bajan45@msn.com

Thanks

Halle Eavelyn
              @halle@coredm.com

Thank you for your patience @shirley-morris as I get caught up.  Please always remember to do these assignments as attachments, ok? That helps us.  I went ahead and copied and pasted this into a new doc so I can review it. I’ll have comments for you asap!!

Shirley Morris
              Participant
                @bajan45@msn.com

Thanks..that is perfect info.. I thought there should be another way…Phooey on me!

Halle Eavelyn
                  @halle@coredm.com

Awesome job, @shirley-morris! Thank you for your patience – all my notes are in the attachment, with *** so you can see where to look.

Next steps: Make changes and review again. Hire someone on Fiverr to review. Make changes and review again. READ the Hero Story Overview Map, which is a pinned post at the top of the Hero Story Forum. It will tell you where to go from here!

Attachments:

Shirley Morris
                  Participant
                    @bajan45@msn.com

Thanks Halle!   Much appreciated…..

Viewing 6 reply threads

Support Forums are being phased out. You can still view the existing Forum posts but can no longer post in them. For all Support needs, please email help@coredm.com or click the blue Question Mark icon in the lower right hand corner of your screen.